Illuminate your creativity in our class on laser engraving for edge-lit acrylic signs! We'll guide you through creating a design for your edge-lit sign, and teach you how to safely operate the laser for cutting and engraving.
This a hands-on class where you will design a sign and operate the laser to engrave your design into acrylic. We'll guide you every step of the way, but you will be in the driver's seat.
You will learn:
- how the 80W OmTech Laser Cutter works
- how to safely operate the laser cutter for both cutting and engraving (we'll focus on acrylic, but also discuss other materials)
- the basics of designing for laser cutting and engraving
- how to use LightBurn for design and controlling the laser
- and along the way, become familiar with topics such as vector graphics, lens focal distance, and G-Code
Upon completion of this class, you'll:
- have made a custom edge-lit acrylic sign to take home
- be certified to independently use the laser cutter for your future projects
Who it's for: Anyone aged 15+ (youth 15-17 must have a guardian co-sign the liability waiver). No prior experience is necessary, although previous experience with design software is useful for creating more complex designs.
We'll provide: All class materials, including the edge-lit acrylic sign kit.
What to bring: Not required, but we recommend bringing a laptop and creating a free account at Canva.com (unless you have other preferred design software that you are familiar with).